AAiT MSc and PhD in Railway Engineering Scholarship
Deadline: June 14, 2019
African Railway Center of Excellence (ARCE) is one of the African Center of Excellence II projects supported by the World Bank. Through this support from the WB, the center aspires to become sustainable regional hub for training and research in Railway Engineering and Management, capable of leading efforts to address priority development challenges and improve lives in South and Eastern Africa. The aim of the center is to strengthen railway professionals’ development through short-term training, MSc and PhD level education, and research in Ethiopia and the region at large.
To this effect, ARCE is offering scholarships to citizens in African countries to pursue MSc/PhD studies in Railway Engineering specializing in “Civil Infrastructure”, “Rolling Stock” and “Traction and Train Control” for the 2019/20 academic year
- Type A. Full Scholarship only for regional Applicants: Covers monthly stipend (USD600 for PhD students and USD600 for MSc students), tuition fee, health insurance and transportation cost. The scholarship will be initially granted for one semester and may be extended for those who completed the first semester successfully and for those non competent student’s monthly stipend may be reduced to 400 USD.
- Type B. Half Scholarship only for national competent Female Applicants: Covers monthly stipend (USD300 for PhD and USD200 for MSc) and tuition fee and for those non competent student’s monthly stipend may be terminated.
- Type C. Part Timer Scholarship: Covers tuition fee only.
- Type D. Self-Sponsored Students: Student should cover all the expenses. And have to be stated on application form (in 2.D)
- Authentication fee, Registration fee, Application fee, resident permit fee, local transportation and other personal cost should be covered by selected candidates.
- Stipend payment effective after the applicant has been admitted by the University.
- Have completed their last degree less than six years ago during the time of application
- Be Citizens of African countries
- For MSc applicants: Applicants should have Bachelor’s degree qualification with at least a CGPA of 3.00/4.00 for males and 2.5/4.00 for females (grading shall be converted to 4.00 scale or at the level of Upper Second Class Honours or above).
- For PhD applicants: Applicants should have MSc degree qualification with at least a CGPA of 3.50 for males and 3.25 for females (grading shall be converted to 4.00 scale at the level of Upper Second Class Honours or above).
- The applicant should write a personal statement/motivation letter describing the candidate`s interest to join the program.
- The applicant should have two letters of recommendations of advisors/ supervisors from previous educational institutions.
- PhD applicants should submit research proposal including a detailed work plan (Maximum 10 pages).
- All regional applicants shall submit a certificate that states English language is a media of instruction in your previous degree issued university
- Applicants who have completed their degree from foreign universities are required to obtain their degree equivalent from the Ethiopian Higher Education Relevance and Quality Agency (HERQA) before admission.
The application file name must be [applicantfamilyname_Field of Study.Pdf] for example jhondan_Rollingstock.pdf and application only be complete if the following documents are submitted.
- Filled ARCE 2019/2020 Scholarship form (Download Application Form Here )
- Signed curriculum vitae scanned in PDF; please use the Europass CV template (http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu)
- Scanned copies of all university degree certificates
- Scanned copies of all university transcripts
- Letter of motivation (Maximum 2 pages)
- Academic reference from senior lecturer and proof of employment if applicable (scanned copy)
- Short listed candidates should submit Authenticated copies of previous degrees and official transcripts from previous university/college imprinted with their foreign ministry office,
- Short listed candidates of Ethiopian applicants should submit Cost-Sharing clearance documents.
To apply , Click here